The new chassis is now getting a little heavy on Jan’s Dad’s old wooden trestles.
The rear is now finished with its new brake pipework, grease, and a lick of paint.
The springs are on, but I’m having difficulty doing up the inner 26mm nuts, as it seems to me I need a very slim spanner (which I haven’t got)! The front suspension arms and steering are on, and it’s had a first lick of paint…2 coats to go.
I’ve got a nice new box of bits from ECAS parts (www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk) including new front brake discs and pads,
so we’ll soon start to move the engine and gearbox over, but I’ll have to sort the Trestles first!
On the pictures note the new “R7″ type fuel hose we sell which has a very high ethanol resistance, and the shiny new stainless steel large clip, and new 1/4” bore copper fuel pipe from rear to the front. You can also see my 2 clips of professional Draper sockets….the type that presses on the flats not the corners so I’m not knackering up any of the nuts and bolts.
You may remember from an earlier post that lurking around here there is a small green 2CV van – a wrinkly bonnet type equipped with a 425cc twin cylinder air-cooled engine – which is currently with Herefordshire 2CV guru Pete Sparrow being fettled. Well, investigation of the rest of the vehicle has commenced whilst the engine is away, and removal of a distinclty home-made floor plate has revealed the original floor – or rather a lack of one!!
Fref Flintstone’s 2CV!!
Prep and Paint
At the weekend I started to clean off the rear suspension units using an angle grinder and wire brushes see http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=092.229 and http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=095.080
Then using Por15 I’ve cleaned prepped and painted the exhaust and started the rear units. Por15 paint wont come off the skin so I’ve used draper latex gloves, and my new tub of Rozalex hand cleaner, which is so much better than washing up liquid!
Starting with Metal Prep to ‘Key’ the surface
2 Coats of POR-15 Rust Preventative applied
Finished cross tube and arms
Exhaust system had the same treatment
These pages have been somewhat free of Tiger tales of late – mostly due to the shell being away with the painters and us leaving them to do their bit without being pestered!! However, it seems that the painting side of the job is reaching its end, aside from re-hanging the doors. This will be completed during the coming week, and the shell should be back with Hardy Hall at the end of the week to allow the reassembly process to start.
The finished shell awaiting final fitment of the doors