Last night Adam and Simon helped take the body off the wooden support horses
and put it back on the chassis. I had, the previous night, prepped all the chassis with the foam rubber and J-shaped clip on threaded nut clip things that Citroen use to fix down.
This is a really good idea… The chassis holes allow about a 5mm wiggle room, so clean up the old bolts, a bit of grease and screw all in a few turns. The rear 2 bolts needed longer nuts and proper bolts as this end was sitting up a little…well maybe 25mm on the driver’s side. I used some of our spread washers 097.210 (see http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=097.210) inside the car.
This all worked a treat and now 18 bolts later it’s nearly fully attached. I just have the larger 4 bolts which are at the widest point and are contained down in the cross members of the chassis and reinforcing box section of the new floor. This is the next job, and it all lines up so will be easy, but I wanted to use some new bolts, large spread washers 097.212 (http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=097.212) new spring washers 097.424 (http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=097.424), all of which were raided from the Holden “Fixings dept.”
The body shell is now securely bolted down to the chassis, with new sealing foam between the chassis and the floor panel.
Fixings washers from HVC, the oval spreader washers being MGA parts, but are perfect for this job!!
Well it feels like it’s really coming along and I’m getting somewhere!!!
This weekend spent painting the underneath of the body with POR15 bedliner, a chip resistant rubberised paint, see http://www.holden.co.uk/displayproduct.asp?pCode=097.991, As this is water based I had to have a couple of fan heaters on all day in the garage!
Job done! – The underside is now fully protected.
June – since my last blog seems a long time ago! Well here’s the excuses:- Firstly
I Had to finish off a hall way and lay the flooring and do the skirtings etc, then there was my fence project…. We live close to the main road through Bromyard and between us and it was a 6 foot open fence (posts with planking on alternate sides) then a 15 foot bank down to the road with mature trees (birch, holly, ash and beach).
The road is noisy so to make a sound barrier I took all the cross timbers off the old fence and reattached all on the one side. This gave a solid fence just short of 6 foot. I then added on the outside a new taller vertical feather boarded fence. If you’ve done this you know it takes some time… New 2 foot deep notched posts 8 foot tall 8″x5″ arris rails kick boards etc, together with extra cross support rails to hold the boards tight….. Now quieter!
Then there was a holiday to Cornwall, 3 classic car show weekends and just minor tinkering. I’ve pre-prepped all the body work cleaned off all the old stuck-on soundproofing and filled a bit to smooth over the new rear inner wheel arch welding in preparation for Russell at Hennessy Motorsport to do the respray. http://www.hennessymotorsport.co.uk/
Going to Russell’s
Body being prepped
Finished job in the spray booth
Adam helping with return transport
Just put back on the chassis for now outside the garage